A CASE STUDY
ESSILOR LUXOTTICA - DIGITAL ACCELERATION
INTEGRATED BOOKING PLATFORM
Comprehensive design built from limited user data and encompassing the adoption of new technology and an onboarding process for second party customers, as well as an interface for third party users
Role: UX / UI design and research lead
Timeline: Iterative, over 1 month (2 Sprints)
Tools used: Sketch, Protopie, Zeplin, Illustrator, Photoshop
DITAC (Essilor/Luxottica's Digital Acceleration team) built a custom locator that works similarly to Google Maps, but caters to the vision sector. Allowing users to find the closest results, through geo-location. With the addition of a recently acquired booking platform infrastructure, I created a complete inline booking flow.
With the agreement to share data, this is the first of it's kind end-to-end CRM platform for the vision industry that not only books but tracks the customer from inception to final purchase. Then continues to remind and track through the full lifecycle of the customer
Although this project was not a linear process, for the sake of presenting this case study in logical parts, I’ve broken down the experience/interface process into six primary phases.
The only research we are currently able to track is very limited data gathered from our partner site All About Vision (www.allaboutvision.com), through Google analytics and Google Optimize. In addition, most users treat this site as a pure reference source, with the majority of users being seniors searching for the latest malady, finding results and then not returning again for up tp a year. The only way we saw to get added data was through a testing platform called User Testing (www.usertesting.com). Using User Testing's filtering options, I manicured the demographics for our closest user match.
The research gathering models included:
Google & UserTesting.com
The Challenge: To create a clean, intuitive booking flow that allowed users to quickly book a nearby appointment with an eye care professional to access and solve their eye care issue.
The Solution: Through some analytical data and user testing we made shifts in design where we found users getting stuck in the process and minimized the amount of data initially requested from users to speed up process and get users through the booking process efficiently.
Additional design changes were made to create a more engaging experience for users.
Using UserTesting.com we defined our users based on filtered demographic details, only allowing the closest proximity to our users to test, and then we tested in three sessions, with five users each. We were able to gather both quantitative and qualitative data by watching and listening to the individual users progress through our prototypes.
Several insights were pulled and adjustments were made and retested until we achieved level set.
Developing the data required speaking with internal stakeholders, looking at Google analytical data and working through the data gathered via online user testing and then distilling it into a data matrix. From that we built set behaviors, directions and flows.
User data lead to discoveries into pain points and new ideas presented from users and their perspectives. We iteratively adjusted the designs and retested until we reached paridy. All while moving at brake-neck speed to outpace competition. And though beginning with a mobile-first mindset, building breakpoint designs to include tablets, due to analytical data showing that seniors (our largest market) use them the most.
Finally, we pushed the designs into production and development to test again with site visitors.
Through limited research development I refined and augmented the current flow structure to meet with the demands
of our users.
All designs are built using Sketch and screens are pushed to Zeplin for review and development, as well as pushed to
Protopie for prototyping.
Sketch comps load into Protopie and actions are added - from simple to complex and a custom URL is generated for review. Once approved the url and script are pushed into the UserTesting platform and retested.
The most efficient way to start this was with a rework of the current onboarding process and reach out to current customers first. Since DITAC had made the acquisition of the 4PC booking backend infrastructure, we combined forces with Quisitive
to create new online forms, contracts and needed updates to the form and infrastructure.
I listened to the teams and incorporated new options to both support what our backend could capture
but the design as well.